- Table View
- List View
These are big questions to discuss in a young-adult novel, but they are only a small part of what Norma Howe tackles inThe Adventures of Blue Avenger. How did a normal sixteen-year-old boy become the hero of his own comic strip, fall in love with a girl named Omaha Nebraska Brown, and invent a recipe for perfect dripless lemon meringue pie? What does this have to do with the sixteenth-century heretic Giordano Bruno? How can we end the plague of handgun violence in America? A thought-provoking combination of humor, philosophy, and romance,The Adventures of Blue Avenger has something for every teenage reader (and even for a few smart adults).
"Unless and until someone can convince me otherwise, it's goodbye, Mr. Shakespeare--hello, Oxford!" Rue is blue as Blue can be. A reporter can't get his name right; the city council is putting bullets back in guns; an unscrupulous software manufacturer has stolen a good friend's plans for a computer game; and worst of all, Omaha Nebraska Brown, the love of his life, has suddenly gone cold. Only setting out on a new quest can right these wrongs. A wonderful English teacher gives Blue the challenge that sends him to meet a devious merchant in Venice, decode a mysterious cipher, and devote himself to the cause of Edward deVere, the Earl of Oxford (and, Blue is sure, the true and long-hidden author of the greatest plays in English). After desperate measures to avoid being alone in a gondola under the moon with a beautiful girl, true Blue returns to Omaha's waiting arms, and he finds a clever way for his friend to get credit for his inventions. But whether he can prove Oxford really wrote Shakespeare's plays is up to the reader. Blue Avenger Cracks the Code is a great stand-alone book that will please Blue lovers grateful to see him back in action, and will give teachers and parents a whole new way to interest young readers in Shakespeare.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.