- Table View
- List View
Joel is seventeen, shy, and inexperienced. Leda has a lot to teach him .......
Originally published in 1982, Domestic Arrangements is the story of a fourteen-year-old New York teen named Tatiana, an unintentional ingénue who becomes notorious for filming a nude scene for a major movie. Tatiana's newfound fame--which includes interviews, magazine covers, and publicists--is set against the backdrop of an increasingly adult personal life, as her parents file for divorce, her sister becomes increasingly jealous of her sibling's success, and she finally chooses between an old boyfriend and new, older loves. A stunning example of Norma Klein's fearless take on the complexities of adolescence, Domestic Arrangements is an indelible portrait of a girl on the cusp of adulthood, learning to balance the challenges of life in the spotlight with love, family, and friendship. This edition features a brand new introduction by Norma's long-time friend, renowned children's author Judy Blume.Norma Klein was best known for young adult works that dealt with family problems, childhood and adolescent sexuality, as well as social issues like racism, sexism, and contraception. Her first novel, Mom, the Wolf Man and Me (1972), was about the daughter of an unmarried, sexually active woman. Her subsequent works included Sunshine, It's Okay If You Don't Love Me, Breaking Up, and Family Secrets. Because of their subject matter, many of her books sparked considerable controversy, and a 1986 American Library Association survey found that nine of her novels had been removed from libraries. In an interview that same year with the New York Times, Klein said: 'I'm not a rebel, trying to stir things up just to be provocative. I'm doing it because I feel like writing about real life.' She died in 1989 at the age of fifty.
Peter and Leslie, high school seniors who are lovers, have to make some adjustments when Peter's father and Leslie's mother marry, making them stepbrother and stepsister.
At loose ends the summer their parents separate, fourteen-year-old twins open and operate a restaurant with the help of their friends.
New Yorker Jody has what she thinks is a very liberated view of sex, while Midwesterner Lyle still thinks love means having to say you're sorry. "The trauma and confusion of the sexual coming-of-age by a liberated woman is presented with skill and understanding. " LIBRARY JOURNAL
Isabel and Stuart have been friends since preschool. And Isabel has believed they would marry. But she is too shy to act on her feelings. When Stewart begins dating Isabel's friend Ketti, Isabel tries, unsuccessfully, to move on and develop an interest in another guy.
Having a mother who had never married might be awkward and inconvenient for other people, but never for Brett. In fact, Brett preferred her mom single. She'd change and be like all other mothers if she had a husband. Then there'd be three meals on time, a strict bedtime, and probably they'd both have to wear skirts instead of jeans.
Seven-year-old Naomi tries to come to terms with being the middle child in the family after the arrival of the new baby.
This book is about a teenaged boy's affair with a married woman. Norma Klein writes vividly of distinctly human adolescents who confront their problems with brain and wit.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.