- Table View
- List View
The yearly volumes of Censored, in continuous publication since 1976 and since 1995 available through Seven Stories Press, is dedicated to the stories that ought to be top features on the nightly news, but that are missing because of media bias and self-censorship. The top stories are listed democratically in order of importance according to students, faculty, and a national panel of judges. Each of the top stories is presented at length, alongside updates from the investigative reporters who broke the stories.
Norman Solomon's succinct book is an ideal introduction to Judaism as a religion and way of life. In addition to surveying the nature and development of Judaism, this Very Short Introduction outlines the basics of practical Judaism -- its festivals, prayers, customs, and various sects. Modern concerns and debates of the Jewish people are also addressed, such as the impact of the Holocaust, the establishment of the State of Israel, the status of women, and medical and commercial ethics.
(From the book jacket) LIKE THE REST OF THE BABY-BOOM generation, Norman Solomon grew up in a nation of dazzling progress and ominous shadows. Behind the upbeat TV shows and glib optimism there lurked private anguish and the specter of nuclear holocaust. Young people confronted a divisive war in Vietnam and distress in their own lives. Now, several decades later, Americans face similar divisions and a potentially endless "war on terror." Blending personal history and social commentary, Made Love, Got War documents five decades of rising American militarism and the media's all-too-frequent failure to challenge it. The author's unique weave of eyewitness narrative and historical inquiry, Daniel Ellsberg notes in the foreword, "helps us understand where we are now and how we got here."
in this provocative book, Norman solomon presents compelling arguments for how American politicians and the political and military establishment use the mass media as propaganda vehicles to promote military action. Using examples from Republican and Democratic administrations, solomon shows how the same themes are used over and over again to promote going to war and to muzzle critics.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.