- Table View
- List View
Harrowing memoir of unrelenting abuse of Irish Kathy by her father and brothers beginning when she was a toddler and continuing from age eight to eighteen in reformatory schools, asylums and the Magdalene Laundries. Recounts her severe residual emotional distress as an adult and attempts to find love and justice. As a child O'Beirne was sent to institutions because she could not endure her father's beatings. She was sent to a workhouse of the Irish Magdalen Sisters at age 12 and gave birth at age 13 after being raped by a visitor. She was keenly aware the state and the Church which had allied with it were punishing the victims, not the perpetrators, of child abuse. She describes the loss of innocence, the descent into mental institutions, and the aftereffects of institutional as well as domestic abuse upon the "Magdalen girls. " She offers some hope for justice, however slight, in the campaign she has headed on their behalf since 1990. Annotation ©2006 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.