- Table View
- List View
From the creator of the Jessica James mystery series comes a sharp, edgy psychological thriller in which a woman is forced to confront the demon of her past--before he destroys her future. Long ago, Carrie Holt had accepted the legacy of her traumatic childhood, tucking the memories away where they couldn't hurt her. And until now she's succeeded in putting her past behind her. She's a successful writer, on the brink of becoming a bestseller. She has achieved all she set out to. When she returns to her hometown to speak at a writers' festival, Carrie comes face-to-face with the man--the monster--who victimized her for years as an innocent child. A man who has become a prominent television personality. A man who holds a terrifying amount of power. No longer able to ignore her anger, and fearing he is targeting a new victim, Carrie confronts her tormentor. But in doing so, she unleashes a fury of doubts, questions and dangers, as she realizes her memories are not all that they seem.
Abby Northrup finally has the quiet life she's dreamed of, living in Carmel at the former monastery she purchased and renovated. But The Prayer House is more than a peaceful home for Abby--unofficially it is an underground safe haven for abused women and children. And when an old friend and her daughter appear on Abby's front step looking for safe haven, Abby's tranquil life begins to dissolve. Alicia Gerard is the wife of a wealthy business tycoon with strong connections to the political world. Abby agrees to take Alicia and her daughter in, but when FBI agents swarm the building looking for them, Abby finds herself trapped in a world of murder, conspiracy and threats to national security. On the run from government agents who make their own rules, Abby must decide which of her beliefs are worth dying for--and which ones are not.
Abby Northrope has everything a woman could want. A wonderful home in Carmel-by-the-Sea, a wealthy lawyer husband, a wide circle of friends and a secure place in the community. She has everything...until Marti Bright, Abby's best friend from school days, is brutally murdered -- crucified on a hill overlooking Carmel. But Abby lives with a secret of her own: her ailing marriage, so fairy-tale-like to outsiders, is crumbling. As Abby turns all her energies into a quest to avenge Marti's death, she is led down a labyrinth of lies, half-truths, jealousies and revenge. Terrible secrets come to light: about herself, her husband and Marti. But how are the three tied together? With a killer still on the loose, time is running out.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.