- Table View
- List View
In the northern California town of Coventry, two teenage brothers go into the woods one day, but only one comes back. No one knows what happened to the younger brother, Josh, until twenty years later, when the older brother, Oren, now an ex-investigator for the Army CID, returns to Coventry for the first time in many years. His first morning back, he hears a thump on the front porch. Lying in front of the door is a human jawbone, the teeth still intact. And it is not the first such object, his father tells him. Other remains have been left there as well. Josh is coming home . . . bone by bone. Using all his investigative skills, Oren sets out to solve the mystery of his brother's murder, but Coventry is a town full of secrets and secret-keepers: the housekeeper with the fugitive past, the deputy with the old grudge, the reclusive ex-cop from L.A., the woman with the title of town monster, and, not least of all, Oren himself. But the greatest secret of all belonged to his brother, and it is only by unraveling it that Oren can begin to discover the truth that has haunted them all for twenty years. Written with the rich prose, resonant characters, and knife-edge suspense that have won the author so many fans, Bone by Bone is further proof that O'Connell is one of the most poetic yet tough-minded writers of the genre. (San Francisco Chronicle).
The astonishing new Mallory novel from the New York Times- bestselling author. The little girl appeared in Central Park: red-haired, blue-eyed, smiling, perfect-except for the blood on her shoulder. It fell from the sky, she said, while she was looking for her uncle, who turned into a tree. Poor child, people thought. And then they found the body in the tree. For Mallory, newly returned to the Special Crimes Unit after three months' lost time, there is something about the girl that she understands. Mallory is damaged, they say, but she can tell a kindred spirit. And this one will lead her to a story of extraordinary crimes: murders stretching back fifteen years, blackmail and complicity and a particular cruelty that only someone with Mallory's history could fully recognize. In the next few weeks, she will deal with them all . . . in her own way.
Intense, learn about her earlier years while she solves a current series of crimes.
This book starts with a dead woman in Mallory's apartment, and Mallory long gone. She has come across a stack of letters written by her father and starts a cross-coastal road trip, in a souped up VW convertible Beetle, on Route 66 following his letters. Meanwhile, a serial killer's work has been discovered, also along Route 66, and the two plots become one. Is Mallory losing her edge and going over the deep end into insanity? It's possible this time. The usual cast of characters are here and actively involved in helping Mallory--of course against her wishes. This latest novel does not let up on thrills and plot twists.
Psychological thriller by the author of the Mallory series, but this is NOT part of the series. Keeps you guessing!
Book 3 of the Detective Mallory series. This one is in the art world.
The start of Carol O'Connell's "Mallory Series." Mallory is an unusual NYC detective, with an unusual past. She is surrounded by interesting characters. The plot moves quickly with many surprises. Highly recommended!
Book 2 of the Mallory Series of detective novels. Great characters!
Great characters, great plot, surprise ending--as usual.
The "Mallory series" of mysteries don't need to be read in order. In this one, She goes to New Orleans to track down her mother's killers--and the ending is stunning. Mallory and her usual surrounding characters are fascinating and compelling. Excellent reading!
A burglar is caught in the act and killed by a scissors-wielding homeowner. but the dead man was a hired killer. And he was stabbed not with a pair of scissors, but with an ice pick first.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.