- Table View
- List View
Of all the events in Oprah Winfrey's life, none has affected her as powerfully as playing the part of Sethe, the former slave who must come to terms with a haunting past, in Jonathan Demme's film of Toni Morrison's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel -- coming from Touchstone Pictures in Fall 1998. Oprah fell in love with the book when it was first published in 1988, and instantly became determined to deliver this powerful story to film herself. But making the movie was something even more profound than she might have imagined, and "Journey to Beloved" is her own emotional account of that experience. With Oprah's heartfelt words and the evocative images of Ken Regan, "Journey to Beloved" is an elegant book that will interest fans of Oprah, of Toni Morrison, and of fine filmmaking. Accompanying Oprah's personal journals and thoughts about the Beloved experience is a foreword by Jonathan Demme and a chorus of voices, from Danny Glover, Thandie Newton, Kimberley Elise, and Beah Richards. The result is a tribute to a courageous work of art, expressed as only Oprah can express it.
After trying every diet program imaginable--from Atkins to Optifast--media giant and self-confessed junk-food junkie Oprah Winfrey met personal trainer and exercise physiologist Bob Greene. The rest is talk-show history. (Who can forget seeing Oprah wheeling that wagon of fat onstage? ) Instead of fad diets, fasts, and quick fixes, Greene taught Oprah how to eat right and exercise regularly. He helped her lose more than 70 pounds and changed her life forever. In Make the Connection, Greene tells you how to lose weight the Oprah way: with hard work that includes a sensible diet and daily workouts. He gives 10 steps that he believes are the fastest and most effective ways to increase your metabolism and decrease your weight. You'll also learn why we eat, how to become self-aware, the purpose of body fat, and the physics of body weight. To keep you motivated, Oprah shares her personal shape-up story and offers suggestions for sticking with the program. Make the Connection is about more than shedding pounds. It is also about making a daily commitment to take care of your body and feel better about yourself.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.