- Table View
- List View
The English Standard Version Bible captures as far as possible the precise wording of the original biblical text and the personal style of each Bible writer, while taking into account differences of grammar, syntax, and idiom between current literary English and the original languages. The ESV thus provides an accurate rendering of the original texts that is in readable, high quality English prose and poetry. This Bible has been growing in popularity among students in biblical studies, mainline Christian scholars and clergy, and Evangelical Christians of all denominations. Along with that growth comes the need for the books of the Apocrypha to be included in ESV Bibles, both for denominations that use those books in liturgical readings and for students who need them for historical purposes. More Evangelicals are also beginning to be interested in the Apocrypha, even though they don't consider it God's Word. The English Standard Version Bible with the Apocrypha, for which the Apocrypha has been commissioned by Oxford University Press, employs the same methods and guidelines used by the original translators of the ESV, to produce for the first time an ESV Apocrypha. This will be the only ESV with Apocrypha available anywhere, and it includes all of the books and parts of books in the Protestant Apocrypha, the Catholic Old Testament, and the Old Testament as used in Orthodox Christian churches. It has a lovely pre-printed case binding, and includes a full-color map section, a table of weights and measures used in the Bible, and many other attractive features. The English Standard Version Bible with Apocrypha is certain to become the preferred Bible in more conservative divinity schools and seminaries, where the Apocrypha is studied from an academic perspective. And it answers the need of conservative Christians in general for a more literal version of these books.
Including cross-references, quote boxes, and lists, this volume features over 1,000 biographies of important people from all parts of the world and all time periods.
From writing poems to writing birthday cards, and from the garret to the classroom, the Oxford Dictionary of Rhymes has what every writer (or budding writer) needs. It contains rhymes for 45,000 words, including proper names, place names, and foreign terms used in English. The organization and layout are remarkably clear, making the volume very easy to use, and there is a complete index for added ease of reference. In-text notes offer tips on using rhymes effectively, make suggestions for expanding the rhyming lists included in the book, and give examples of how poets, past and present, have used rhyme. The wide-ranging and accessible introduction offers a brief outline of rhyming in its literary and historical contexts, and gives further advice on creative writing. The design is contemporary and clear, making the Oxford Dictionary of Rhymes simple to navigate. In short, this is a must-have tool for writers of all kinds and a superb reference for English teachers, as well as a delight for everyone who likes to play with words.
Authoritative, accessible, and completely up to date, this new edition of the popular Oxford Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms is an invaluable guide for anyone wanting to build their vocabulary and invigorate their writing skills. Over 140,000 alternative and opposite words are given with the closest, most frequently used synonyms listed first. In addition, thousands of real-life examples of usage from the Oxford English Corpus put the words in the context of sentences, which helps the reader to pinpoint the right word quickly and easily (and avoid embarrassing mistakes). Also included are some useful appendices designed to improve your knowledge of the language: a new Wordfinder section offers a selection of thematic lists--from chemical elements and clothing to phobias and flowers--and a Common Confusables supplement highlights the crucial differences between similar words that are often mixed up. Anyone wanting a practical and accessible language guide that will expand their vocabulary and sharpen their writing skills--including families, word game buffs, and students learning English as a foreign language--will want this dictionary on their reference shelf.
Designed to accompany Joy Hakim's ten-volume A History of US or as a stand-alone reference, this collection of great American documents is ideal for all students of American history. Filled with primary sources, the Sourcebook and Index traces the gradual unfolding of ideas of freedom in America through letters, declarations, proclamations, court decisions, speeches, laws, acts, the Constitution, and other writings.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.