- Table View
- List View
Eleven-year-old Joy Wells is a literary horror fan and proud resident of Spooking, the run-down, eerie town at the top of the hill. At the bottom of the hill is Darlington, a plastic suburban 'paradise' where Joy and her brother go to school. When the mayor of Darlington announces that a water park is soon to be constructed over the Spooking Bog, Joy knows she must act quickly if she's going to save her ancient, beloved town from becoming just as cute and icky as Darlington. But the Spooking Bog holds many mysteries. . . Could the legend of the Bog Fiend be true? Who is the bizarre woman that lives there in the house on stilts? And what will become of it all when the bulldozers come rolling up the hill from Darlington? Joy is on a mission to find out, but someone wants to stop her, and they'll do whatever it takes. . .
Joy Wells is fascinated by the strange noises coming from the abandoned Spooking Asylum. She knows all about the famous legends that surround the place, and is certain that she is hearing the guns of long-dead soldiers. But what if something more contemporary is going on? Could it be that the old asylum is not abandoned after all? When Joy's pet frog, Fizz, gets away, Joy travels through the town's old sewers looking for him, only to emerge above ground inside the locked gates of the asylum. And there she uncovers a trail of greed and madness guaranteed to thrill her horror-loving heart! Why don't you join her for a little not-so-harmless mayhem - if you dare!
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.