- Table View
- List View
This book describes the habitats, habits, physical descriptions, status and facts about a variety of insectivores from Hedgehogs and Shrews to Moles and Bats.
Encyclopedia articles on all kinds of large carnivores from the Cat family including the Lynx, bobcat, Tiger, Lion, Jaguar, Leopard, Cheetah, and the Clouded Leopard, to the Dog family including the Gray Wolf, Coyote, Dingo, African Wild Dog, Red Fox, Swift Fox, Bat-Eared fox, and more to Bears such as the Grizzly, Polar Bear, Panda Bear, and Black Bear to Hyenas like the Striped and Spotted and spotted Hyenas and the Ardwolf. Animal articles contain, Scientific name, common name, habitat, diet, and interesting facts on each species. Other books in this series are available from Bookshare.org.
This book offers a detailed introduction to large plant eaters, including elephants, rhinos, hippos, horses and zebras, camels and llamas, pigs and peccaries and tapirs. Introduces the animals habitat, status, scientific name, and fascinating facts about each.
The primates include lemurs, monkeys, apes, and ourselves. They are mostly highly intelligent animals, active during the day. The majority live in the tropics, and apart from humans, there are no primates in North America or Australia and only one in Europe. Primates usually form groups, often with complex social behavior involving special roles for different individuals. Most primates have only one or two young at a time, and females may produce fewer than five young in their whole life. That is balanced by a high degree of care for the offspring, leading to good survival prospects. Nevertheless, primates are unable to breed rapidly to make up for major losses in their populations. The largest species are a little bigger than the average human; the smallest are scarcely larger than a mouse. Primates feed on a wide variety of foods, including leaves, fruit, insects, and flesh. Many are highly adaptable and occur in a variety of habitats, but some are extremely specialized. Certain species are quite numerous and may even become pests. However, the majority of primates are declining in numbers due to habitat loss, hunting for meat, and collecting for zoos and the pet trade. A higher proportion of primates are officially recognized as Endangered than any other major group of mammals. Other books in this series are available from Bookshare.
Introduces rodents of all kinds including the squirrel family, beaver family and mouse family.
Discusses cattle, deer, and sheep from around the world
This informative book offers information on the world's sea mammals. It discusses different families and orders as well as individuals. Individual species covered are: eared seals, such as cape fur seal, Harbor seal, northern fur seal, harp seal, walrus, whales, manatee, dugong, and many more. Other books in this series are available from Bookshare.
This new multi-volume resource offers valuable information on the world's animals, from mammals, birds, fish, insects to reptiles and amphibians. Included in the book are family trees, articles on family groups, articles on individual animal species, a good glossary, and set index as well as cross references. Each article lists the animal's common name, scientific name, key physical features, distribution, habitat, habits, voice, breeding and status as well as more specific facts about the animal. In this volume are: Common Raccoon, Ringtailed Coati, Red Panda, Least Weasel, Stoat, Polecat, Black-Footed Ferret, American Marten, Fisher, American Mink, Wolverine, European Otter, and many more animals. Also included are articles on the families that these animals belong, and general articles on what mammals are, and small carnivores. Valuable resource for anyone wanting to learn more about the world's animals.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.