When best friends Tyler Bohannon and Isaac Peerce decide to head West in search of adventure, fortune, and new beginnings, they leave everything they know and love behind in order to make a fresh start and forget the pain of their past. Now that Tyler's father is dead and his mother has remarried, he longs for a home of his own, especially one that doesn't include his new stepfather. Isaac, a freed slave, is looking for a place where he won't be judged by his race. The boys get more adventure than they bargained for as they are misled by seemingly trustworthy individuals into one dangerous situation after another. And as the boys struggle to survive on the frontier, their friendship is tested...just when they need each other the most. Patricia Calvert has crafted a rousing novel that explores issues of race and identity, loyalty and friendship in the rugged, unforgiving world of the American West in Betrayed!, the final novel of the acclaimed trilogy that began with Bigger and Sooner.
When his father disappears near the Mexican border at the end of the Civil War, twelve-year-old Tyler decides to go after him and bring him home, acquiring on the journey a strange dog, which he names Bigger.
"It will be a fine war," I assured him, hoping to take that look out of his eyes.... "No, Hadder, it won't be a fine war at all," he chastened me. "It will be a desperate and bloody war, just as most wars are. Somehow, Had, we Scots have to learn to live with the English on this little island.... It must all have a stop." He's soft and foolish and a stranger to me, I realized.... I closed my heart against Leofwin and wondered if a girl had ever gone to war before or if I might be the very first one. * Hadder MacColl, fourteen-year-old daughter of the fiery Highlands chieftain, Big Archibald, cannot believe that her brother's three years of study at Edinburgh could have so changed him that he no longer shares her taste for battle. They had always yearned for the return from exile of Bonnie Prince Charlie, when the clans would rally behind him, rout the English, and win back the crown of his ancestors. Now the prince has landed on the coast, and Hadder's beloved brother no longer wants to fight. Only the honor of Big Archibald drives him to follow the clans. Oh, if only Hadder could go to war! She'd show them what it means to be a child of Big Archibald MacColl.... Patricia Calvert's stirring novel recalls a memorable period and creates an equally memorable heroine.
In her best-selling novel Bigger, Patricia Calvert followed young Tyler Bohanon on his moving and courageous trek to Texas in search of a father who never returned from the Civil War. Now, in this powerful sequel, we see Tyler and his new pup, Sooner, at home. Barely an adult himself, Tyler is forced to take on the duties of the man of the house. And in the postwar era, even the basic needs of farm life are in short supply. He and his family struggle to maintain their balance, building a new life without Papa, who, they learn from a surprise visitor, has died and will never return.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.