Major medical breakthroughs are enabling more and more men to survive prostate cancer. Once a deraded killer, the disease can today be managed with a wide range of powerful new strategies. Now this lifesaving guide by Dr. Patrick Walsh and award-winning science writer Janet Farrar Worthington offers a message of hope to all those facing this illness. Learn: The risk factors of prostate cancer, including heredity, diet, and envrionment Why a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, grains, and less red meat may help prevent or delay prostate cancer Why the digital rectal exam and PSA test might save your life The latest treatment options--from Dr. Walsh's "nerve-sparing" radical prostatectomy to new radiation techniques and promising drugs for advanced prostate cancer Effective methods for recovering continence and potency after treatment. "The ultimate book on the No. 1 men's disease in the world...should be in every man's home." --USA Today "All men--and their loved ones--battling or concerned about prostate cancer should read this book." --Publisher's Weekly "Comforting, encouraging...a must-read for women, men, and families...tells you everything you need to know." --Elizabeth Dole "Dr. Walsh is widely regarded as the nation's finest prostate cancer surgeon... Very current...thoroughgoing primer on the disease, full of accessible but detailed explanations." --Washington Post
This guide covers every aspect of prostate cancer, from potential causes including diet to tests for diagnosis, curative treatment, and innovative means of controlling advanced stages of cancer.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.