- Table View
- List View
From a debut author comes a story of finding oneself in a place all too familiar. After Dulcie Morrigan Jones?s dad dies, her mom decides they need to find a new life in California. But Dulcie doesn?t understand what?s wrong with her old life back in Newbury, Connecticut. So she heads across country and back home in her father?s red 1968 Chevy pickup truck. When she arrives, she meets Roxanne, a girl whose home life makes Dulcie see that her own situation may not be all that bad after all. And as the summer comes to an end, Dulcie realizes that maybe it?s necessary to leave a place in order to come back and find out who you really are. .
Sixteen-year-old Dulci comes from a family of janitors in the town of Newbury, Connecticut. Her world crumbles with the sudden death of her father. She goes to California with her mother and does not like it there. She then steals her father's pick-up truck and returns home. She lives with her grandfather and slowly begins the process of healing.
From Walter Dean Myers to Mo Willems to Terry Trueman, some of today's most exciting writers offer teen readers a great selection of honest and real stories about everyday guys who get pummeled by some life lessons and still manage to come out on top.
[From the front dust Jacket flap] "As the new kid in the small town of Falls, Connecticut, Zachary Beatrice could use a friend. Thanks to Rachel Spinelli, he's about to get a whole lot more. Rachel's got a good heart, but she can be ferocious if you taunt her brother, and she's not afraid to throw a punch when necessary. For Zachary, life back in Copper Lake, Colorado, was certainly never this exciting! Now, instead of an isolated existence on the edge of town, he's in the midst of all the action, chatting with regulars at the local diner, playing the trumpet as though his life depended on it, and warding off the punches that inevitably come his way. Best of all, he's figuring out that when life punches you in the face, you just get back on up. From the author of Defining Dulcie, comes a novel about new beginnings, the power of forgiveness, and the quirky people that make life interesting." If you enjoyed this funny, story of real kids working at fitting in to their everchanging world, read Defining Dulcie by this author which is in the Bookshare collection.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.