- Table View
- List View
The Education of an American Dreamer: How a Son of Greek Immigrants Learned His Way from a Nebraska Diner to Washington, Wall Street, and Beyondby Peter G. Peterson
The son of Greek immigrants who ran a diner in Kearny, Nebraska, Pete Peterson has lived the American dream on a scale few ever experience. In this delightfully candid and astute memoir, Peterson tells a story full of family, love, business, politics, ambition, idealism, failure and fulfillment. Full of sharp portraits and humorous, telling descriptions of the many statesmen and financiers he's known over the years, and a deep level of personal revelation,The Education of an American Dreameris a richly satisfying journey through a fascinating man's life.
How Aging is changing our world.
Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do About Itby Peter G. Peterson
How both parties are exacerbating our economic problems
Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do about Itby Peter G. Peterson
This book offers America not only a vision but the practical steps by which to ensure our children's economic future. Running on Empty is not only a warning, it is also a manifesto calling for the next administration to finally confront a deep and disturbing problem that politicians of all parties have insisted on ignoring for too long.
"Despite clear danger and explicit warnings, the United States of America--distracted by short-term challenges and its own political dysfunction--is steaming toward its own collision, one with long-term debt."Philanthropist, businessman, and former secretary of commerce Peter G. Peterson argues that we can no longer ignore the long-term debt challenges facing our country, because our economic future depends on it. The gross federal debt now exceeds $17 trillion and it is expected to rise rapidly in the decades to come. If the growing gap between projected spending and revenues continues to widen, our federal debt is projected to soar to the highest levels in our nation's history--more than four times its average over the past forty years. This growing debt and the associated interest costs divert resources away from important public and private investments that are critical to our global competitiveness, threatening our future economy.Peterson has made it his life's work to bring awareness to America's key economic and fiscal challenges. He makes clear that if we continue to ignore America's long-term debt, we will diminish economic opportunities for future generations, weaken our ability to protect the most vulnerable, and undermine the competitive strength of our businesses globally.The drama-filled, economically damaging budget battles of the last few years have focused almost entirely on the short term--putting aside the more difficult, but much more important, long-term issues. Peterson offers nonpartisan analysis of our economic challenges and a robust set of options for solving our long-term debt problems. He looks at the impact of aging baby boomers, growing healthcare costs, outdated military spending, a flawed tax code, and our divided political system. And he offers hopeful, durable, and achievable solutions for improving our fiscal outlook through a mix of progrowth reform options that would reduce government spending and increase revenue, and could be phased in gradually in the years to come.There's still time to restore the United States as a land of opportunity. Peterson's diagnosis and recommendations can help us confront our fiscal reality, address our long-term debt, and steer the country safely toward a more secure and dynamic economic future.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.