This book designed to illuminate the logic of econometrics without formulas, providing intuition, skepticism, insights, humor, and practical advice. Designed for use in a range of courses, from undergraduate to graduate and PhD level.
What do we want our students to be able to do upon completing an introductory course in macroeconomics--shift curves on diagrams or interpret media commentary on the economy? This book, an effort to lead students in the latter direction, offers a clear exposition of introductory macroeconomic theory along with more than 600 one- or two-sentence "news clips" that serve as illustrations and exercises. The author calls this approach "media economics" to distinguish it from the encyclopedic character of traditional texts. The book provides a guide to what the author calls the "really important" ideas of macroeconomics, with a strong connection to the real world. Thus many instructors will find the book suitable for use in courses enrolling business students. The method of presentation allows room for topics that are crucial for the interpretation of news commentary, but given inadequate coverage in traditional macroeconomics texts. Examples include the many roles of nominal versus real interest rates, and international phenomena such as purchasing power parity. Despite its nontechnical presentation, the material in the book is quite challenging for students; to answer questions based on the news clips, students must truly understand the economic concepts and apply problem-solving skills rather than rote learning. This text, unlike other economic texts, provides the student with a practical yet sophisticated grasp of the macroeconomic principles necessary to interpret media commentary. The second edition has been revised and updated throughout.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.