- Table View
- List View
This book designed to illuminate the logic of econometrics without formulas, providing intuition, skepticism, insights, humor, and practical advice. Designed for use in a range of courses, from undergraduate to graduate and PhD level.
What do we want our students to be able to do upon completing an introductory course in macroeconomics--shift curves on diagrams or interpret media commentary on the economy? This book, an effort to lead students in the latter direction, offers a clear exposition of introductory macroeconomic theory along with more than 600 one- or two-sentence "news clips" that serve as illustrations and exercises. The author calls this approach "media economics" to distinguish it from the encyclopedic character of traditional texts. The book provides a guide to what the author calls the "really important" ideas of macroeconomics, with a strong connection to the real world. Thus many instructors will find the book suitable for use in courses enrolling business students. The method of presentation allows room for topics that are crucial for the interpretation of news commentary, but given inadequate coverage in traditional macroeconomics texts. Examples include the many roles of nominal versus real interest rates, and international phenomena such as purchasing power parity. Despite its nontechnical presentation, the material in the book is quite challenging for students; to answer questions based on the news clips, students must truly understand the economic concepts and apply problem-solving skills rather than rote learning. This text, unlike other economic texts, provides the student with a practical yet sophisticated grasp of the macroeconomic principles necessary to interpret media commentary. The second edition has been revised and updated throughout.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.