- Table View
- List View
Do you really need to know if your daughter has tasted beer or your son has had his first kiss? Probably not. Teens keep secrets. They need this privacy to resolve their own dilemmas, make their own decisions, and start down the road to becoming independent, responsible adults. Although parents can't (and shouldn't) know everything, they are right to worry about giving their children too much freedom, since teens can be attracted to dangerous behaviors. Parenting teenagers means allowing them the freedom to explore, make mistakes, learn, and keep moving forward. Dr. Peter Sheras, an expert in adolescent development, has taught countless parents how to know when to step back, when to ask questions, and when to take definitive action. In I Can't Believe You Went Through My Stuff! he explains how pushing for information or attempting to keep teens confined in too small a box will undoubtedly result in anger, resentment, and worst of all a penchant for trouble. The book includes solid, practical advice on: How you can learn more about your teenager's life without invading his privacy or losing her trust How to start a conversation when your teen won't talk What to do about lying, whether it's infrequent or often How to discuss family rules and establish consequences that really work How to tell if your teen needs professional help and where to find it I Can't Believe You Went Through My Stuff! will give you the key to keeping your teenager safe while building a trusting, warm, and communicative relationship.
Does your relationship feel stale, stalled and strained? Have you tried, and failed, to sustain a successful connection with a partner?Clinical psychologists Peter Sheras and Phyllis Koch-Sheras have helped thousands of people rejuvenate their relationships to create a meaningful and deeply fulfilling love. Their effective 4-step "Couple Power" program is based on a dramatic shift in the way in which relationships are viewed-where the couple is seen as an entity in and of itself, greater than the sum of its individual parts.Discover the 4 Cs of Lifelong Love, and learn how to:- Commit by creating a common vision for you and your partner.- Cooperate to achieve the committed vision that you both have for your relationship.- Communicate to serve your common vision, not just to meet your own needs.- Create communities of other couples who can support and help nurture your relationship.Filled with examples based on the authors' experience as clinical psychologists, as well as their 35-year marriage, Lifelong Love provides the tools you and your partner need to create the profoundly satisfying and lasting relationship of your dreams.
What can you say to a son who comes home day after day complaining of being threatened or hit or worse? What if your daughter is clearly the victim of vicious teasing but doesn't even want to talk about it? What should you do when you suspect your child may, in fact, be the bully? Your Child: Bully or Victim? offers hands-on help for parents to stop bullying before it becomes serious, including how to: Recognize the many forms abuse can take -- from playground name-calling to chat room cyber-slamming. Detect whether your child is a victim of bullying and empower him to protect himself. Combat such common (and dangerous) myths as "Boys will be boys..." and "Just ignore them and they'll go away." Help your child know what to do when he witnesses an incident. Know when it's time to step in and talk to other parents or teachers in order to protect your child -- what to say and how to say it.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.