- Table View
- List View
INSPIRING STORIES OF FOURTEEN VISIONARIES WHO MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD--AND A BOLD CALL TO ACTION TO MOTIVATE THE NEXT GENERATION OF LEADERS There's Amy Lehman, a gutsy single mother who is building a floating health clinic on Lake Tanganyika; Jimmie Briggs, a journalist campaigning to stop violence against girls and women; and Jacob Lief, a young American who founded a school for street children in South Africa. You will discover how Josh Nesbit, Isaac Holeman, and Nadim Mahmud are connecting rural patients to hospitals using cellphone technology, how Susana De Anda is bringing fresh water to the migrant workers in California's San Joaquin Valley, and how Andeisha Farid is establishing, in the face of war, orphanages for Afghanistan's child victims of war and poverty. These are just some of the stories that will inspire you. Visionaries don't wait for others to take action. They step out. They are brave. They walk the walk. And they connect with others in deep and real ways. Jill Iscol's message is that everyone has the talent and compassion to make the world a better place. Hearts on Fire is a call to action for all of us.Praise for Hearts on Fire "Attention must be paid to these lives and these stories. In Jill Iscol's capable hands, their stories offer us hope--just when we need it."--Brian Williams, NBC News "What inspiring stories of people who have made meaningful lives through service and sacrifice--one person at a time. These are our world leaders!"--Richard Gere "Hearts on Fire is one of the most inspiring books I've read."--Tina Brown, editor-in-chief, The Daily Beast and Newsweek "Clear and compelling . . . I know you will be inspired by the visionaries in Hearts on Fire."--President Bill Clinton "A powerful call to action for each of us to marry passion with purpose and act boldly in the quest for a more just and sustainable world."--Cheryl Dorsey, president of Echoing Green "Powerful and eloquent, Hearts on Fire is a passionate and infectious invitation to get involved and help make the world a better place."--Henry Louis Gates Jr., Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University "A beautifully appointed treasure box filled with inspiration and possibility. You cannot read this book without wanting to do more."--Jacqueline Novogratz, founder and CEO of Acumen Fund "A desperately needed antidote for those discouraged by the dysfunctional politics that have left so many on our planet vulnerable and voiceless."--Billy Shore, founder and executive director of Share Our Strength "Hearts on Fire reminds us that we need to dream again, inspire again, and act again."--Wes Moore, New York Times bestselling author of The Other Wes Moore "Vivid, down-to-earth, and well-told, Hearts on Fire will comfort and inspire anybody trying to do a little bit to make this world a more connected and compassionate place."--Ethan Nichtern, founder of The InterDependence Project, and author of One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.