- Table View
- List View
STARFLEET CORPS OF ENGINEERS When a Federation world suffers a planet-wide blackout, it's the S.C.E. to the rescue. While Commander Gomez and her crack team of engineers work to help keep the planet from falling into chaos, the ship's linguist, Bart Faulwell, is given a special assignment: find the Asarion linguist named Jewlan -- who triggered the blackout with what appears to be a weapon in an archaeological dig. The Asarion people have a unique biology that causes random shifts from male to female. Faulwell's friendship with Jewlan, and her crush on him, is a minor diversion, at first, especially given the struggles Faulwell is having with his own relationship. But when Jewlan becomes Jolen, Faulwell finds himself with more than one difficult decision -- especially when the power outage worsens and threatens to destroy not only Asario, but the da Vinci as well!
For a century, the Cloud City of Stratos that hovers over Ardana has been abandoned, left only as a curiosity and a museum piece following the brutal civil war between the City Dwellers and the Troglytes. Now the city is starting to fall, and it's up to the S.C.E. team on the U.S.S. da Vinci to keep it from crashing to Ardana's surface. However, there's more to this than the usual engineer- ing conundrum. Relics from Ardana's past provide obstacles -- from a parasite that invades Fabian Stevens's brain to a booby trap that endangers Bart Faulwell's life, and þnally to the S.C.E. being caught in the cross þre between two opposing factions, whose disagreements may cost two da Vinci crew members their lives!
The Enterprise is assigned to ferry demolition experts from Deep Space 9 to Starbase 375, but just as they arrive. Admiral Leyton declares martial law on Earth and the Federation is put in a state of emergency. On the starbase, Admiral Hahn has gone missing, and there are several unexplained events -- and one of the demolition experts, Lieutenant Daniels, isn't convinced that it's necessarily Dominion treachery. Picard and the Enterprise crew must learn the truth -- about the martial law declaration and what happened to Admiral Hahn -- before the Enterprise itself becomes the next casualty...
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.