- Table View
- List View
A blood-chilling true-crime account from former district attorney and New York Times bestselling author Robert K. Tanenbaum. They were just doing their jobs -- serving and protecting -- when the unimaginable happened: Officers Waverly Jones and Joseph Piagentini became moving targets, ambushed from behind at a Manhattan housing project. Jones lay dead in a pool of his own blood, and Piagentini lived long enough to beg for his life -- before he was riddled with twenty-two bullet holes by members of a deadly hit squad hell-bent on taking out the men and women of law enforcement. Masterfully building suspense on every page, Robert K. Tanenbaum reconstructs the vicious murders of Jones and Piagentini and the manhunt for the suspects, and brings to life his courtroom prosecution of the killers -- revealing the triumphs and failures of America's legal system.
Jeffrey Blaine is a good man, a wealthy and powerful Wall Street broker with impeccable social standing. But his wife-who supports charitable foundations from their Park Avenue townhouse-seems to have lost interest in their marriage, and his daughter, a beautiful debutante ready for Yale University in the fall, has turned sullen and rebellious. Having achieved everything he'd ever dreamed of, Blaine now feels unsettled, stagnant, hungry for a new challenge-a challenge that presents itself suddenly in the person of Chet Fiore, an ambitious entrepreneur rumored to be tied to organized crime. When Blaine rebukes Fiore's offer to participate in an illegal business proposition, he discovers that the mafia lieutenant has laid an elaborate trap to ensure Blaine's cooperation: the abduction of his beloved daughter. To ensure her safe return, Blaine is forced now to become a partner in a money laundering scheme of immense proportions. But once the transaction is completed, Blaine is a changed man, unexpectedly empowered by Fiore's demands, a man ready to shed his staid past for the urgency and risk of a life of crime; and so they form an alliance that forever changes the lives of both men, leading to the demise of one and the corruption of the other. House of Lords is a riveting investigation of power and corruption-part human drama, part thriller-that has the potential both to be a critically acclaimed portrait of our age.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.