- Table View
- List View
Collecting data is relatively easy, but turning raw information into something useful requires that you know how to extract precisely what you need. With this insightful book, intermediate to experienced programmers interested in data analysis will learn techniques for working with data in a business environment. You'll learn how to look at data to discover what it contains, how to capture those ideas in conceptual models, and then feed your understanding back into the organization through business plans, metrics dashboards, and other applications. Along the way, you'll experiment with concepts through hands-on workshops at the end of each chapter. Above all, you'll learn how to think about the results you want to achieve -- rather than rely on tools to think for you. Use graphics to describe data with one, two, or dozens of variables Develop conceptual models using back-of-the-envelope calculations, as well as scaling and probability arguments Mine data with computationally intensive methods such as simulation and clustering Make your conclusions understandable through reports, dashboards, and other metrics programs Understand financial calculations, including the time-value of money Use dimensionality reduction techniques or predictive analytics to conquer challenging data analysis situations Become familiar with different open source programming environments for data analysis "Finally, a concise reference for understanding how to conquer piles of data." --Austin King, Senior Web Developer, Mozilla "An indispensable text for aspiring data scientists." --Michael E. Driscoll, CEO/Founder, Dataspora
How can you take advantage of feedback control for enterprise programming? With this book, author Philipp K. Janert demonstrates how the same principles that govern cruise control in your car also apply to data center management and other enterprise systems. Through case studies and hands-on simulations, you'll learn methods to solve several control issues, including mechanisms to spin up more servers automatically when web traffic spikes. Feedback is ideal for controlling large, complex systems, but its use in software engineering raises unique issues. This book provides basic theory and lots of practical advice for programmers with no previous background in feedback control. Learn feedback concepts and controller design Get practical techniques for implementing and tuning controllers Use feedback "design patterns" for common control scenarios Maintain a cache's "hit rate" by automatically adjusting its size Respond to web traffic by scaling server instances automatically Explore ways to use feedback principles with queueing systems Learn how to control memory consumption in a game engine Take a deep dive into feedback control theory
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.