- Table View
- List View
Actor and social commentator Joseph C. Phillips speaks powerfully about the topic of life as a conservative African-American actor, husband, father, and citizen. In today's political climate, with race such an issue, this collection of essays is not only timely, but thought provoking. Like Democratic candidate for President Barack Obama, Phillips has had his authenticity as a black man questioned by members of his own race, for trivial reasons such as the way he speaks, his choices in music, politics, faith, and family. Also like Obama, Phillips has often been accused of not being "black enough," while, as an actor, he has encountered even more pointing fingers for not being liberal enough. With a frank voice, this brilliant and outspoken author presents a series of witty and provocative essays that examine life as a conservative African-American, and the simple fact that authenticity is far more complicated than one's choice of words.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.