- Table View
- List View
From the book jacket: Can you imagine what it would be like to cross a busy street if you were blind? You will learn how "seeing-eye" dogs are trained. In this easy to read nonfiction book students grades 2 - 4 can learn about Buddy the first Guide dog in America, about which breeds are used for guide work, about different ways the dogs are trained, and what a blind person and dog to during class. Other books in this series are available from Bookshare. There is also a chapter on guide dog instructors, costs and a glossary of useful terms. Breeds represented are Labrador retriever, Golden Retriever, and German Shepherd Dog.
Did you know a dog can be trained to "alert" deaf people to the sound of alarm clocks, doorbells, and other noises? Learn how these amazing canines are trained. For grades 2 - 4.
From the book Jacket: Dogs are being used in police departments around the world to find and catch criminals "in the act." Special training is required, and this book explains how this is done. This easy to read nonfiction book is suitable for students in Grades 2 - 4 to learn about the different jobs that dogs do in law enforcement, from sniffing out bombs and drugs, to helping to protect officers, find suspects in buildings, and help protect citizens from harm.
From the book Jacket: MILITARY DOGS Did you know dogs are trained to save soldiers' lives? Read how dogs are being trained today in the military to perform these tasks. This simple to read book designed for grades 2 - 4 will introduce people to the jobs that military dogs have done throughout history and today. The author also discusses different breeds of dogs used for military work and talks about a few famous military dogs.
What Kinds of breeds make good search and rescue dogs? What does a bloodhound look like? What organizations can you get involved with if uyou have a search and rescue dog? Is there a difference between a Air scenting and Man trailing dog? Find out the answers to these and many other questions in this fact filled book about search and rescue dogs and how they are trained. For grades 2 - 4 and of course older readers.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.