- Table View
- List View
CONTENTS PART I: CHAMORRO PREHISTORY Introduction UNIT 1: The Quest for a Home and Identity Section A Clues to the Puzzle Clues from Ancestral Remains Clues from Language Clues from Tools and Pottery Clues from Plants Putting the Clues Together Section B Looking for a Home Section C The Pacific Section D The Navigators Section E Settlements UNIT 2: The Life of the Ancient Chamorros Section A Economics and Society Section B Home and Family Section C The Manmaga'lahi and Manmaga'haga Section D The Guma' Uritao Section E Marriage and Home Section F Beliefs Section G Magic and Medicine PART II: CONTACT WITH THE EUROPEANS Introduction UNIT 1: Contact with the Europeans Section A A Tale about How it might have Happened Section B The Search for Wealth and Power Section C Conversion, Conquest and Colonization Section D The Religion of the Chamorros UNIT 2: Bringing Christianity to the Chamorros Section A Padre San Vitores and the Chamorros Section B Trouble Over Differences Section C Chamorro Leaders Who Rebelled Section D Guam in the 18th and 19th Centuries Section E The Continuing Role of Chamorro Women English Glossary Chamorro Glossary
Written for students of Guam on Guam's political development as perceived by the Chamorro people.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.