- Table View
- List View
The internationally bestselling author pens a haunting psychological thriller involving cruelty, secrets, and murder at an exclusive private school . Luisa, a renowned mystery writer, is beginning her new novel, a story of psychological suspense that centers on the suspicious death of a child at an elite private day school. The author has a close familiarity with her setting: her thirteen-year-old daughter, Elba, is about to begin her academic year at the same school that Luisa once attended, a school much like the one in the novel. But as her work progresses, the line between art and life begins to blur. Deeply repressed anxieties bubble to the surface, and she worries not only for her daughter's well-being but also for her own. As her new novel unfolds, events on the page ring with a disturbing familiarity--a troubling symmetry that is compounded when Luisa runs into two former classmates whose children also attend the school. The unexpected meeting brings to light a gruesome event the three shared. When Elba is implicated in the accidental death of a classmate, past and present, real life and fiction, become one. Convinced that her novel has set in motion an unspeakable horror, Luisa must find a way to stop it--before everything she loves is lost.
Rafael Molinet Rojas, an inconspicuous Spaniard living in London, regrettably finds that there is nothing worth living for when his closest companion-his mother-dies. Hoping to make a dignified-and, although he won't admit it, dramatic-exit from this world, Molinet plots his escape, picking an elegant setting for his suicide via sleeping pills: Morocco's L'Hirondelle d'Or, one of the most luxurious resorts in the world. There, he will be able to forget his cares, drape himself in a white caftan, and try to make a little money playing backgammon before he does himself in. The day before his trip, Molinet has a lunch date with his vivacious niece-who enthralls him with the story of a scandalous and deeply suspicious death. Jaime Valdés, high society lothario, has seemingly choked to death in the presence of both his mistress and his wife, but all of Spain is atwitter with the possibility of murder. Coincidentally, when he arrives at the spa, Molinet realizes that the stylish woman sitting by the pool is none other than Valdés's widow. And when a throng of gossipy Europeans arrive on the scene, it quickly becomes clear that despite its air of tranquility, many sinister things are happening at L'Hirondelle. Before he knows it, Molinet's eavesdropping leads to a startling turn of events.Internationally bestselling author Carmen Posadas has created a corrosive and witty high society whodunit in the vein of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. The Last Resort mixes poolside cocktails and acid-laced gossip with privilege and murder to marvelous effect. From the Hardcover edition.
A runaway international bestseller and winner of Spain's top literary prize, Little Indiscretions is part ingeniously entertaining whodunit and part sparkling social satire. Business is slow for Nestor Chaffino, pastry chef to the rich and famous, until he's invited to cater a party in a villa on the Costa del Sol. When Nestor is found frozen to death in a walk-in freezer with a notebook in his hand, the party guests gathered that evening are the natural suspects. But who could have it in for a harmless cook? The answer, it turns out, is just about everyone who happens to be staying in the house. Nestor, while quietly stirring his sauces and whisking his egg whites, had decided to publish a compendium of gastronomic secrets that revealed, along with the culinary tricks of his trade, more than a few damning details of the hosts' and houseguests' private lives. To what lengths would they go to ensure that Nestor maintained a more permanent sense of discretion? Not since Nick and Nora Charles's last cocktail party has such a merry band of mischief makers convened in one place. Little Indiscretions marks the discovery of a phenomenal writer with tremendous flair. It's a gourmet treat readers will pounce on.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.