- Table View
- List View
Human Impacts on Amazonia: The Role of Traditional Ecological Knowledge in Conservation and Developmentby Michael J. Balick Darrell Addison Posey
Featuring contributions by environmental scientists, botanists, anthropologists, and others, this volume explores historic and contemporary visions of Amazonia and the effects of human development in the region. The collection reveals the long history of cultural and biological destruction in the Amazonian ecosystem, particularly by outsiders. Standing in stark contrast to the environmental exploitation practiced by these interests, native Amazonians have successfully utilized and conserved the land around them, from the pre-Columbian era to the present. The unmistakable imprint of these indigenous inhabitants is reflected in the forests, savannas, hills, and streams of the Amazon Basin, which for them serve as homes, gardens, and hunting reserves, as well as spiritual and sacred spaces. Therefore collaboration with native Amazonians is critical to avoiding further ruin of this unique part of the world's biological and cultural heritage. Human Impacts on Amazonia is a fascinating and important book for anyone concerned with the history, development, conservation, and protection of the Amazon Valley.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.