- Table View
- List View
Human Impacts on Amazonia: The Role of Traditional Ecological Knowledge in Conservation and Developmentby Darrell Addison Posey Michael J. Balick
Featuring contributions by environmental scientists, botanists, anthropologists, and others, this volume explores historic and contemporary visions of Amazonia and the effects of human development in the region. The collection reveals the long history of cultural and biological destruction in the Amazonian ecosystem, particularly by outsiders. Standing in stark contrast to the environmental exploitation practiced by these interests, native Amazonians have successfully utilized and conserved the land around them, from the pre-Columbian era to the present. The unmistakable imprint of these indigenous inhabitants is reflected in the forests, savannas, hills, and streams of the Amazon Basin, which for them serve as homes, gardens, and hunting reserves, as well as spiritual and sacred spaces. Therefore collaboration with native Amazonians is critical to avoiding further ruin of this unique part of the world's biological and cultural heritage. Human Impacts on Amazonia is a fascinating and important book for anyone concerned with the history, development, conservation, and protection of the Amazon Valley.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.