- Table View
- List View
Another Brilliant story by Premchand highlighting the life of a saint which highlights the religion and spirituality in his writings.
A collection of short stories of Premchand especially written for children. The stories look to the world with the innocence of childhood.
Part two of a collection of short stories of Premchand especially written for children. The stories look to the world with the innocence and simplicity of childhood. Quite different from the modern world theorist it show the souls of the children through the wonderful stories.
Gaban is a novel about the love of ornaments and its bad consequences. In Gaban, Premchand captures the spirit of the times without going into the details of political struggle. The depiction of Jalpas reincarnation as a new and changed character makes this novel one of the best in Indian Literature.
Godan is regarded as one of the greatest Hindi novel of modern Indian literature. Themed around the socioeconomic deprivation as well as the exploitation of the poor village, the novel was the last complete novel of Premchand. The protagonist, Hori, a poor peasant, desperately longs for a cow, a symbol of wealth and prestige in rural India. In a Faustian twist of fate, Hori gets his cow, but ends by paying for it with his life. After his death, the village priests demand a cow from his widow to bring his soul absolution, and peace (Godaan). The narrative can be said to represent the existence of the average Indian farmer under colonial rule, with the protagonist facing cultural and feudal exploitation.
Recognized as the foremost writer in both Hindi and Urdu during the early twentieth century Premchand in this novel depicts the truthfulness of Gandhian way of fighting the odds in life. Indeed a novel down to earth with many lessons to learn.
An uncompleted work of Premchand, Mangalsutra. A progressive story indicating a clear picture of development in his age. Mangalsutra, a necklace for the bride, is worn in India and the story till the uncompleted end revolves around the lady protagonist.
Nav Nidhi is the collection of stories of Premchand which show the suffering one has to go through when something precious is lost.
Premchand is standing up once again for the realistic pivot of the family. The inhumanity of caste hierarchies and the plight of women stirred his indignation and remained constant themes through his work. Another of his classics
A well crafted Novel with a blind man as the protagonist. The novelist depicts the whole society around him. The story revolves around the peasant society of Indian villages. Premchand treads the very tricky ground of tensions between the rulers and the ruled in this novel. Dialogues between the characters are as real as life and relevant till date in India.
Vardaan is a tragic story of two lovers. The lovers who played together since childhood and dreamt of spending their lives together, dreams shattered like playing cards. The novel has the love story of Virjan and Pratap and at the same time Madhvi and Pratap. In the end Madhvi decides to leave everything and becomes a yogini. An intense story which is a must-read for Premchand lovers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.