- Table View
- List View
How Did It Begin? is an entertaining look at why we do and say the things we do. Why do we say that cranky people must have got out of bed on the wrong side? Why is it bad luck to whistle at sea? What are crocodile tears? And what is a grass widow? Where did the expression to eat one's hat come from? Why do men and women button their clothes on different sides? Why are horseshoes lucky? And why do we all eventually kick the bucket? With his trademark curiosity and delight, Dr. Rudi Brasch delves into the forgotten meanings and fascinating origins of our customs, traditions, superstitions, and phrases. Divided into themes like courtship and marriage, table manners and drinking customs, right through to the extraordinary rituals connected with the armed services, medicine, and the law, How Did It Begin? is wide-ranging, idiosyncratic, erudite, and engaging.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.