Updated with 2005 USDA dietary guidelines and the new food pyramid, along with new materials on sanitation, computerized food service management systems, first aid and fire safety procedures, diet trends, and temperatures for cooking, cooling, and hot and cold storage, this comprehensive text emphasizes cost-effective and safe techniques along with advice on professional development. In 30 chapters Haines and Miller cover such topics as careers in food service, sanitation, tools and equipment, safety, nutrition, cooking methods and techniques, breakfast preparation, batter cooking, appetizers, seasonings, salads, cheeses, fruit, vegetables, pasta, soups, meat and fish, breads, cookies, pastries and specialty desserts. The also include hundreds of large-scale recipes (finally we know how to make six Key Lime pies at once), a glossary, and appendices on such topics as the mathematics related to food preparation. They have included a number photographs so well-done readers may be tempted to eat the pages.
This third edition of a book/CD-ROM text now contains color photos and diagrams on every page, and has been updated and expanded to reflect the latest welding technology. There are new chapters on areas such as repair welding, metallography, weld discontinuities, metal identification, and distortion control. Learning features include step-by-step exercises, key points and boxed facts, and a glossary. The CD-ROM contains a quiz for each section of the text, an illustrated glossary, media clips, and welding reference material. Author information is not given. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.