- Table View
- List View
AP* Achiever Advanced Placement European History Exam Preparation Guide to accompany A History of the Modern Worldby R. R. Palmer Joel Colton Lloyd Kramer
Multiple levels of human history have created modern societies and exerted wide influence on people and cultures around the world. This book therefore describes the histories of specific nations and people and emphasizes landmark events such as wars and revolutions, but it also stresses broad historical trends that have developed deep below the most prominent historical events and created what we now call "the modern world."
The book is still designed to set forth the modern history of Europe and European civilization as a unit, and in its later chapters attempts to tell the story of an integrated, or at least interconnected, world. Emphasis falls on situations and movements of international scope, or on what Europeans and their descendants have done and faced in common. National histories are therefore somewhat subordinated, and in each national history the points of contact with a larger civilization are most fully treated. Historic regional differences within Europe, as between East and West, are brought out, and the history of the Americas is woven into the story at various points, as are developments of the last century in Asia and Africa.
This book presents the upheavals in Eastern Europe, the disintegration of the former Soviet Union, the reunification of Germany, the end of the Cold War, the Islamic fundamentalist movement, changes in Latin America etc.
This book is for readers who will live in a new century of worldwide economic, political, and cultural interactions. The book goes beyond the histories of specific nations and people to describe broad historical trends that have affected people throughout the modern world. The authors have sought to explain the rise of nation-states and the global conflicts that have molded the world's diverse societies over the last several centuries, and has emphasized the evolving global economy, the importance of science and technology, the significance of religious traditions, the international diffusion of new ideas, the changing mores of social life, and the complex relations between Western cultures and other cultures around the world.
In its fifth year (1793-1794), the French Revolution faced a multifaceted crisis that threatened to overwhelm the Republic. In response the government instituted a revolutionary dictatorship and a "reign of terror," with a Committee of Public Safety at its head. R. R. Palmer's fascinating narrative follows the Committee's deputies individually and collectively, recounting and assessing their tumultuous struggles in Paris and their repressive missions in the provinces. A new foreword by Isser Woloch explains why this book has been, and deserves to remain, an enduring classic in French revolutionary studies.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.