Heffner (communications and public policy, Rutgers U. ) conducted some two dozen interviews with Elie Wiesel for his public television productions "The Open Mind" and "Dialogues: A Series of Conversations on the Crucial Issues of Our Times. " These, in addition to a few conducted solely for this volume, were distilled to form the 11 chapters of this book, in which Nobel Peace Prize-winner Wiesel reflects on the moral responsibility of governments and individuals; the role of the state in our lives; the rise of nationalism; religion, politics, and tolerance; capital punishment; mercy killing; and the role of memory. Annotation c. Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Here in a single volume are the documents, speeches, and letters that have forged American history, accompanied by interpretations of their significance by noted historian and broadcaster Richard D. Heffner. It includes complete text of the Declaration of Independence, the complete Constitution of the United States, the Emancipation Proclamation, FDR?s ?Four Freedoms? Speech, John F. Kennedy?s Inaugural Address, Martin Luther King Jr.?s ?I Have a Dream? Speech, documents relating to September 11, 2001, and Barack Obama?s Inaugural Address.
Here, in a single volume, are the documents, speeches, and letters that have forged American history, accompanied by interpretations of their significance by noted historian and broadcaster Richard D. Heffner with online journalist Alexander Heffner. Among the important documents in this book you will find: The complete text of the Declaration of Independence The complete Constitution of the United States The Monroe Doctrine The Emancipation Proclamation Woodrow Wilson's War Message to Congress Franklin D. Roosevelt's "Four Freedoms" Speech John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" Speech Ronald Reagan's Inaugural Addresses, 1981 and 1985 Documents relating to September 11, 2001 This edition has been expanded and updated to include: A new chapter on the Bush/Cheney Administration and the First and Second Election and Inauguration of Barack Obama as the Forty-Fourth President of the United States More Than One Million Copies Sold!
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.