- Table View
- List View
It's sometimes called a hidden epidemic: One in ten Americans--more than twenty million people, most of them women--has a thyroid disorder. At any given time, millions of people have an undiagnosed thyroid disorder and experience a chronic mental anguish that almost certainly arises from the very same source. Yet many primary-care doctors still don't recognize the importance of the thyroid in mind-body health--and its especially crucial role in women's well-being.The Thyroid Solution is a must-read for anyone who suffers from a thyroid condition. It's the first mind-body approach to identifying and curing thyroid imbalances. Written by a medical pioneer and leading authority in the field of thyroid research, this groundbreaking book offers Dr. Ridha Arem's practical program for maintaining thyroid health through diet, exercise, and stress control--and through his revolutionary medical plan, which combines two types of hormone treatments with astounding results. Inside you'll discover- The thyroid basics--what it is, where it is, what it does- How thyroid hormones affect the brain and alter mood, emotions, and behaviorleading to brain fog, weight gain, loss of libido, infertility, anxiety, and depression- What tests to ask your doctor to give you--and what they mean- The vital connection between stress and thyroid imbalance- The benefits of antioxidants and essential fatty-acid foods and supplements- How to recognize and cure the deep and lingering effects of a thyroid imbalanceFilled with remarkable patient histories and interviews that document the dramatic results of Dr. Arem's bold new treatments, The Thyroid Solution now gives you and your doctor the tools you need to live a life with peace of mind . . . and body.
Could your thyroid be making you fat? Do you have a hard time losing weight? If your thyroid and metabolism are slow, you can't lose weight simply by cutting back on what you eat. And if you're overweight--whether you suffer from a thyroid problem or not--your hormones are most likely out of whack and are keeping you from losing those extra pounds. World-renowned endocrinologist Dr. Ridha Arem has treated hundreds of patients successfully for hormone-related weight problems--and almost every weight problem has an accompanying hormone problem. Now for the first time in The Thyroid Solution Diet, Dr. Arem makes his comprehensive hormone-balancing nutrition and weight-loss plan available to the public. With it, you will restore your health and feel better-- mentally and physically--as you get slimmer. Dr. Arem perfected his unique diet after extensive research, modifying the Mediterranean Diet so that his plan is higher in protein, higher in fiber, and also low-glycemic. This way your meals are both satisfying and filling. Specific combinations of proteins and essential supplements at each meal rev your metabolism and reverse hormonal imbalances. And you can further personalize your weight-loss plan by choosing from Dr. Arem's extensive lists of Favorite Foods and from 48 delicious recipes created especially for this book. Before you even start the diet, Dr. Arem takes you through a weeklong detox plan to rid your body of the environmental toxins that compromise your hormone functions and contribute to making you fat. You'll make his carefully formulated smoothie and also start to work with the illustrated 20/10 Exercise program--twenty minutes of aerobics and ten minutes of strength training--to generate energy and vitality. Retrain your body, ramp up your energy, sleep better, reduce stress, and--finally--lose weight and keep it off. This comprehensive mind-body health and diet plan can help you. *** From The Thyroid Solution Diet Do you want to lose weight? Have you tried diet after diet and yet the stubborn pounds remain? Regardless of why you gained weight, once you're wearing those extra pounds, your metabolism shifts gears, triggering multiple hormonal changes that perpetuate weight gain by making your body resistant to losing weight. The only way to lose weight is to rebalance your hormone systems, and the Thyroid Solution Diet is meticulously crafted to do just that. Ask yourself these questions: Are you always tired? Do you have dry skin and dry hair? Is your hair thinning? Are your hands and feet always cold? Do you have a lack of motivation or are you moody, anxious, irritable, or depressed? A thyroid imbalance could be causing any of these symptoms . . . and your weight gain, too. For decades, researchers knew that the thyroid, a butterfly-shaped gland at the front of the neck, governed metabolism, mood, body fat, brain function, and even hearing and vision. But the details on how thyroid hormones control appetite, energy, and weight weren't clear until recently. Even if you haven't been diagnosed with a thyroid condition, or your doctor has told you your blood tests are normal, you might have a subclinical thyroid imbalance, meaning your blood tests are minimally abnormal or borderline. Many doctors ignore these small abnormalities, but losing weight with a borderline low thyroid condition is extremely difficult.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.