Adeu Rinpoche's life was extraordinary from the beginning. He was recognized by an incarnation of the previous Adeu Rinpoche and enthroned at the age of seven as the Eighth Adeu Rinpoche. As a child and teenager he mastered writing, calligraphy, poetry, astrology, mandala painting, prayer, and meditation. Then, in 1958 at the age of twenty-seven, his monastery was attacked and all sacred texts and statues were completely destroyed by the Chinese as part of the Cultural Revolution. Sentenced to fifteen years in prison for his religious beliefs, the author was sent to a remote labor camp, where he watched many of his friends die under the harsh conditions. But imprisonment had an unexpected blessing: he met many accomplished masters, including the late Khenpo Munsel, and learned many practices from them. Freedom in Bondage offers a portrait of the life and philosophy of one of the twentieth century's most respected meditation masters--his early training in spiritual practices, his flight and capture, interrogation and sentencing, and the years in prison. His voice is calm and nonjudgmental, uplifting the reader with his compassion for his captors. The title captures the author's inner liberation in a dire situation.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.