- Table View
- List View
From the Book Jacket: Did you know that Alaska's state flag was designed by a 13-year-old boy, or that California's first flag was made from a lady's petticoat? Each state flag tells a story through its design, and some of the stories are very interesting. In this book, Rita Haban introduces you to the 50 state flags. She tells the stories of their origins and explains the historical meaning of each emblem. Clear, colorful, detailed illustrations, supplied by the Flag Research Center in Winchester, Massachusetts, show the flags of each state. This is a first book for Rita Haban. Her interest in history stems from her own childhood, when a seventh grade teacher sparked her students' interest by illustrating history lessons on the blackboard. Haban studied English at Ohio State University. A member of the Society for Children's Book Writers, Haban also writes short stories and poetry. Two of her poems were published in the Ohio poetry awards, The Best of 1983. She and her family live in Reynoldsburg, Ohio.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.