- Table View
- List View
Contents: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (novel by Mark Twain); from Life on the Mississippi (fiction by Mark Twain); The Negro Speaks of Rivers (poem by Langston Hughes); Narrative of Daniel Fisher (autobiography by Daniel Fisher); Three Days of Forest, A River, Free (poem by Rita Dove); The Outlaws (short story by Selma Lagerlof); from Nine Pounds of Luggage (autobiography by Maud Parrish); Freedom (poem by William Stafford); and from Mississippi Solo (travel narrative by Eddy Harris).
Since its debut in 1988, sales for The Best American Poetry have nearly quadrupled. Now, in the midst of a present "explosion in the interest of poetry nationwide" (The New York Times), this renowned series promises to deliver one of its finest volumes yet with Rita Dove as the year's guest editor. One of the most prominent figures in the poetry world, former Poet Laureate Dove brings all of her dynamism and well-honed acumen to bear on the project. Dove has chosen the best poems of the year from a wide range of literary magazines and journals. Along with the work of today's most celebrated poets, including W. S. Merwin, Lucille Clifton, Susan Mitchell, and John Ashbery, Dove has also selected several fresh and diverse poems from a host of groundbreaking newcomers. Featuring comments from the poets elucidating their work and a Foreword by Series Editor David Lehman, The Best American Poetry 2000 is an especially strong addition to the series People magazine called, "a year's worth of the very best".
Story told in poems of the African Amarican poet's grandparents' marriage, migration to Akron, Ohio in the first half of the 20th Century. Pulitzer Prize 1987.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.