- Table View
- List View
From the psychologist who coined the phrase "healthy dependency"--the first and only book that outlines its four key steps and helps readers understand and use these principles to achieve balance in love, in friendships, with family, and at work. The research is clear: Too much dependency in our relationships can be a bad thing, but too little dependency is just as bad. Healthy dependency--that flexible middle ground between rigid independence and unhealthy overdependence--is the ability to balance intimacy and autonomy, lean on others while maintaining a strong sense of self, and feel good (not guilty) about asking for help when you need it. The authors' studies confirm that healthy dependency brings a wealth of positive effects including: *increased satisfaction in love relationships *greater likelihood of academic and career success *better family communication and improved parenting skills *enhanced physical and psychological health This unique book, meticulously organized and laced throughout with case studies, anecdotes, relationship-style questionnaires, and research findings, draws from the authors' more than 20 years of research and clinical experience. A valuable guide to achieving healthy relationships between men and women of all ages, it will help readers identify where they are on the relationship continuum, and understand the skills they will need to address in order to strengthen their personal, professional, and family relationships.
The first authoritative and comprehensive guide to "aging in place"--a burgeoning movement for those who don't want to rely on assisted living or nursing home care--which allows seniors to spend their later years living comfortably, independently, and in their own home or community. In this empowering and indispensable book, clinical psychologists and aging specialists Mary Languirand and Robert Bornstein teach readers how, with planning and foresight, they can age with dignity and comfort in the place of their own choosing. A necessary resource for seniors, their adult children, and eldercare professionals, How to Age in Place offers useful, actionable advice on financial planning; making your home physically safe; getting around; obtaining necessary services; keeping a healthy mind, body, and spirit; and post-retirement employment. How to Age in Place is both a practical roadmap and inspirational guide for the millions of seniors who want to make their own decisions and age well.
When an aging family member needs some extra help and care, whether a parent, spouse, sibling, or friend, this is the book to get. It delivers bottom-line, no-nonsense, practical information for every stage of need, from the earliest signs of illness, through the nursing home, and beyond. Written by two distinguished psychologists with specialties in eldercare counseling and research, this frank, friendly, time-tested guide is meticulously organized to provide answers, dispel myths, anticipate needs, and help you learn strategies for dealing with every aspect of in-home and facility care, including caring for the caregiver in the process. Also includes checklists, phone and Internet lists, budget worksheets, questionnaires, and a detailed index.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.