- Table View
- List View
In response to the current buzz surrounding such books as "Emotional Intelligence" and "The Bell Curve," Yale University professor Robert Sternberg challenges the age-long debate over nature vs. nurture. Proposing that nurture is far more important than nature in determining success in life, he challenges this critical debate about how to best evaluate and teach America's youth. Sternberg argues that traditional IQ tests and standardized tests measure only 'inert' intelligence, and are therefore poor predictors of how students will do in life. SATs and other standardized tests only evaluate our ability to memorize material and perpetuate the labeling of students based on often irrelevant criteria. "Successful Intelligence" offers specific ways to develop practical and creative intelligence, it demonstrates how accomplished people make successful intelligence work for them, it shows how members of various ethnic groups who typically do not do as well on tests of academic intelligence can compete successfully on creative and practical intelligence and it tells readers that the willingness to take risks and overcome obstacles is a key attribute for achieving intelligence. Sternberg provides us with a new definition of intelligence that predicts how students will fare in problem-solving in both their personal and professional lives. With the keys on how to achieve life's more important goals, Successful Intelligence will change the way we regard aptitude and intelligence.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.