- Table View
- List View
A history of Greece from its founding to the advent of Philip of Macedon. Covers all aspects of Greek life, philosophy and literature.
In their hundreds of thousands, the Crusaders marched to the Holy Land, some on foot, some on donkeys, some in carts, some in armor and on well caparisoned horses. Perhaps a quarter of them died on the journey and another quarter died in the wars, and many of them suffered atrociously to defend the small strip of seacoast they called the Kingdom of Jerusalem, a kingdom they held for less than a hundred years. Today, when we look back at the Crusaders, we find ourselves marveling at their audacity and gallantry and their resourcefulness in building castles and fortresses that were works of art. When we ask ourselves why they went off in the hundreds of thousands, we discover that we do not always know why they went, or what it was all about. Men seek shelter in the shade of a dream. The Crusaders found shelter in a tomb that was also a dream.
This is a thoroughly enjoyable book written by a master storyteller. Some of the stories included are: The Little Apples, St. Peter's Day, Green Scythe, Joy, The Ninny, The Highest Heights, Death of a Government Clerk, At the Post Office, Surgery, In the Cemetery, Where There's a Will, There's a Way, A Report, The Threat, The Huntsman, The Malefactor, A Dead Body, Sergeant Prishibeyev, A Blunder, Heartache, Anyuta.
This is a collection of 40 short stories from author Anton Chekhov, and ranging from the abashed happiness of a woman in the presence of the husband who abandoned her years before, to the poignant astonishment of an aging Don Juan overtaken by love, and many more.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, son of a high official in a princely court, received from the poet Rabindranath Tagore the title of Mahatma. He was a man who lived in public throughout the greater part of his life, eating, sleeping, bathing, thinking, writing and dreaming in full view of everyone who stayed in his ashram or accompanied him on his journeys, but such men have their own ways of concealing themselves. He wore many public masks and many private ones, and sometimes, like all men, he mislaid the masks and showed himself naked. Also, he was sometimes mischievous, and what seemed to be a mask was often his own face smiling with amusement because he had outwitted the observer. Some proclaimed him to be a Messiah, half-brother to Buddha or Christ, possessing divine attributes, wholly selfless and devoting his life to the good of humanity.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.