- Table View
- List View
This study explored the nature of disability-specific stressors encountered by people with disabilities (PWD), examined the relationship between these unique events and psychological well-being, and determined the role that disability identity plays in the experience of stress. People with disabilities encounter many stressors comparable to those experienced by other minority groups including stigma, prejudice, and discrimination (Olkin. 1999). However, well-researched measures of stressful events have poorly captured the types of unique stressors experienced by PWD (Thoits, 1991). Therefore, this study developed a new measure, the Disability-Specific Hassles Scale(DSHS) to aid in identifying stressors and examining their impact on psychological well-being.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.