- Table View
- List View
Since delivering his keynote speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, Barack Obama has been hailed as the clear saviour of not only the Democratic party, but of the integrity of American politics. Despite the fact that he burst onto the national scene seemingly overnight, his name recognition has grown by leaps and bounds ever since. And in November 2008, he was elected the next President of the United States. Barack Obama in His Own Words is a book of quotes from the Illinois Senator that allows those who aren't as familiar with his politics to learn quickly where he stands on abortion, religion, AIDS, his critics, foreign policy, Iraq, the War on Terror, unemployment, gay marriage, and a host of other important issues facing America and the world. Informative and easy to read, this is the perfect potted history for those who don't have time to read the biography of America's first Black President. Lisa Rogak is the author of In His Own Words: Colin Powell and Howard Dean In His Own Words. Her works have been reviewed and otherwise mentioned in the Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Family Circle, and hundreds of other publications. She lives in Lebanon, New Hampshire. 'I wouldn't run if I didn't think I could win. ' 'I don't want people to pretend I'm not black or that it's somehow not relevant. '
A celebration of the amazing canines who perform feats of bravery every day.
Military working dogs gained widespread attention after Cairo participated in the SEAL Team 6 mission that led to Osama bin Laden's death. Before that, few civilians realized that dogs served in combat, let alone that they could parachute from thirty thousand feet up. The Dogs of War reveals the amazing range of jobs that our four-legged soldiers now perform, examines the dogs' training and equipment, and sets the record straight on those rumors of titanium teeth. You'll find heartwarming stories of the deep bond that dogs and their handlers share with each other, and learn how soldiers and civilians can help the cause by fostering puppies or adopting retirees. An incredible story of the largely unseen but vital role that dogs play in our armed forces, The Dogs of War is a must-read for animal lovers everywhere.
Lisa Rogak, author of the New York Times bestseller Barack Obama in His Own Words, now brings readers Hillary Clinton in Her Own Words-quotations from the former First Lady, Senator from New York, and Secretary of State that go beyond politics. Topics range from leadership to life in the White House, and include her opinions on family, aging, public scrutiny, religion, motherhood, and marriage:"If I want to knock a story off the front page, I just change my hairstyle." -June 4, 1995"I have a million ideas. The country can't afford them all."-October 11, 2007"We will never build enough prisons to end our crime problem." -February 7, 1996"Being gay is not a western invention. It is a human reality."-December 6, 2011Spanning more than two decades, this provocative collection is a must for all Hillary fans.
This fascinating, often-funny and sometimes-controversial collection of quotations from Michelle Obama gives a revealing insight into the life and mind of the new First Lady. Featuring her thoughts on the election campaign and how she sees her role in the White House, this timely and inspirational compendium draws on a range of sources including press interviews, speeches and Michelle's own writing to share her reflections on:- the juggling act between work and motherhood- her own journey from Chicago's South Side to Princeton and Harvard- the women who have influenced her, and- controversial issues such as racism and the war in Iraq. It's an inspiring collection that gives a quick and fascinating glimpse into this intriguing woman's view of the world.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.