- Table View
- List View
The Asian World takes readers through nine centuries of history often punctuated by conquests and conflict--from the rise of Yoritomo, Japan's first shogun, who stripped the Japanese emperor of his power; to the ruthless campaigns of Genghis Khan's Mongol warriors in China; to the mutiny of Korean general Yi Songgye, who proclaimed himself founder of a new dynasty. Despite battles and political clashes, the peoples of Asia created large, stable states that brought eras of peace and prosperity. At the same time, Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam attracted believers across the huge continent. The diverse peoples of Asia found much to share, trading goods and spices and tea along the overland networks of the Silk Road or via ships crossing the Indian Ocean, dodging bandits on land and pirates at sea. More important than the exchange of products was the exchange of ideas and inventions such as gunpowder and paper.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.