- Table View
- List View
The Asian World takes readers through nine centuries of history often punctuated by conquests and conflict--from the rise of Yoritomo, Japan's first shogun, who stripped the Japanese emperor of his power; to the ruthless campaigns of Genghis Khan's Mongol warriors in China; to the mutiny of Korean general Yi Songgye, who proclaimed himself founder of a new dynasty. Despite battles and political clashes, the peoples of Asia created large, stable states that brought eras of peace and prosperity. At the same time, Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam attracted believers across the huge continent. The diverse peoples of Asia found much to share, trading goods and spices and tea along the overland networks of the Silk Road or via ships crossing the Indian Ocean, dodging bandits on land and pirates at sea. More important than the exchange of products was the exchange of ideas and inventions such as gunpowder and paper.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.