- Table View
- List View
The main purpose of the book is to demonstrate the design of a variety of patient-specific models within the cardiovascular system in computational biology. The maturation of computational biology could lead to a new approach to medicine. During the last five to ten years, there have been many improvements in diagnostic medical technologies such as multi-slice cardiac CT imaging, 3-D electroanatomic mapping, and many types of applications of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (i.e. magnetic resonance tagging and diffusion tensor imaging). Combined with more powerful computing resources and more accurate predictive computational models it is feasible to begin developing mechanistic patient-specific models that may help diagnosis, guide therapy or surgery, and predict outcomes of the latter. Many questions need to be answered before computational modeling can be fully integrated with standard care, such as what is the minimal data set needed from the patient in order to build a reliable predictive model? What accuracy is needed? How will the initial baseline model be validated? What are reasonable computation times? Is some type of perturbation of the patient's physiology necessary? How could they be integrated with current practices? Are physicians willing to accept these models? These questions will also serve as guidelines throughout the chapters. The book will try to cover, such as cardiac electrophysiology, cardiac (muscle) mechanics, circulation dynamics, arterial and venous flow, angiogenesis, remodeling, metabolism, or combinations between these such as cardiac electromechanics or fluid-solid interactions.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.