- Table View
- List View
The main purpose of the book is to demonstrate the design of a variety of patient-specific models within the cardiovascular system in computational biology. The maturation of computational biology could lead to a new approach to medicine. During the last five to ten years, there have been many improvements in diagnostic medical technologies such as multi-slice cardiac CT imaging, 3-D electroanatomic mapping, and many types of applications of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (i.e. magnetic resonance tagging and diffusion tensor imaging). Combined with more powerful computing resources and more accurate predictive computational models it is feasible to begin developing mechanistic patient-specific models that may help diagnosis, guide therapy or surgery, and predict outcomes of the latter. Many questions need to be answered before computational modeling can be fully integrated with standard care, such as what is the minimal data set needed from the patient in order to build a reliable predictive model? What accuracy is needed? How will the initial baseline model be validated? What are reasonable computation times? Is some type of perturbation of the patient's physiology necessary? How could they be integrated with current practices? Are physicians willing to accept these models? These questions will also serve as guidelines throughout the chapters. The book will try to cover, such as cardiac electrophysiology, cardiac (muscle) mechanics, circulation dynamics, arterial and venous flow, angiogenesis, remodeling, metabolism, or combinations between these such as cardiac electromechanics or fluid-solid interactions.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.