- Table View
- List View
In Acres of Diamonds Russell H. Conwell shows us how to identify the riches and opportunity that lie all around us. Many people search their entire life for opportunity never realizing that everything they need to succeed is already within their reach if only they recognized it.
"Your diamonds are not in far-away mountains or in distant seas," assures the author of this self-help classic, "they are in your own backyard if you will but dig for them. " Profound, yet easy to read, Acres of Diamonds addresses the relationship between spiritual and material desires, providing practical guidance on finding riches in your own backyard by opening your mind and making the most of your circumstances. Russell H. Conwell, the founder of Temple University, delivered the substance of this volume as a popular lecture on more than 6,000 occasions. Audiences listened eagerly to his timeless advice about finding a market for goods and services, getting started without capital, and finding local opportunities. Conwell cites important inventions created by ordinary people who discovered new uses for familiar objects, while offering inspiring advice about abandoning preconceived notions and rediscovering the value of the commonplace.
Friends. -This lecture has been delivered under these circumstances: I visit a town or city, and try to arrive there early enough to see the postmaster, the barber, the keeper of the hotel, the principal of the schools, and the ministers of some of the churches, .... <P> <P> and then go into some of the factories and stores, and talk with the people, and get into sympathy with the local conditions of that town or city and see what has been their history, what opportunities they had, and what they had failed to do-and every town fails to do something-and then go to the lecture and talk to those people about the subjects which applied to their locality. "Acres of Diamonds"-the idea-has continuously been precisely the same. The idea is that in this country of ours every man has the opportunity to make more of himself than he does in his own environment, with his own skill, with his own energy, and with his own friends. RUSSELL H. CONWELL.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.