- Table View
- List View
Crop wild relatives are the natural genetic progenitors of plant species that humans cultivate and consume every day. This massive and thorough textbook covers many of the scientific efforts used to conserve and utilize these species, including in situ management, genetic and hybrid research and the prevention of natural and man-made factors that can limit or destroy crops. Specific case examples are presented from around the world, showing how agricultural science has progressed in this area, and how pollution and population growth have set this progress back. The text is dense and aimed at those already proficient at agri-science, but a more comprehensive study of crop wild relatives would be hard to imagine. Three of the six editors are affiliated with the school of biosciences, U. of Birmingham, UK; two are with Bioversity International, Rome, Italy; and one is with the U. Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain. Contributors of the 49 chapters are from many countries, and the final two chapters discuss global conservation issues.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.