- Table View
- List View
The Atria Summer 2013 Beach-Read Bag: A free collection of thirteen excerpts from novels by some of our favorite writers.There's nothing that goes better with beach season than a delicious novel. With that in mind, we present Atria's Summer 2013 Beach-Read Bag: a free collection of 13 excerpts from novels by some of our favorite writers. Selections include: The Secret Keeper by Kate MortonThe Daughters of Mars by Thomas KeneallyThe Edge of the Earth by Christina SchwartzFive Days by Douglas KennedyChildren of the Jacaranda Tree by Sahar DelijaniThe Sea of Tranquility by Katja MillayForever, Interrupted by Taylor Jenkins ReidGolden Boy by Abigail TarttelinThe Lavender Garden by Lucinda RileyWith All My Love by Patricia ScanlonThe Mouse-Proof Kitchen by Saira ShahThe Longings of Wayward Girls by Karen BrownWaiting for Jules by Tamara N. Houston No matter whether you're on a plane traveling to your getaway destination or on your couch planted firmly in front of the air conditioner, we've got a great story guaranteed to whisk you away on a reading vacation.
A stunning debut novel set in post-Revolutionary Iran that gives voice to the men, women, and children who won a war only to find their lives-and those of their descendants--imperiled by its aftermath. We all have a tree inside us. Finding it is just a matter of time. Neda is born in Evin Prison, where her mother is allowed to nurse her for a few months before the arms of a guard appear at the cell door one day and, simply, take her away. Omid, at age three, witnesses the arrests of his political activist parents from his perch at their kitchen table, yogurt dripping from his fingertips. More than twenty years after the violent, bloody purge that took place inside Tehran's prisons, Sheida learns that her father was one of those executed, that the silent void firmly planted between her and her mother all these years was not just the sad loss that comes with death, but the anguish and the horror of murder. Neda, Omid, and Sheida are just three of the many unforgettable characters in Sahar Delijani's startling debut novel, Children of the Jacaranda Tree. Set in post-revolutionary Iran, from 1983 to 2011, it follows a group of mothers, fathers, children, and lovers, some connected by family, others brought together by the tide of history that forces its way into their lives. Finally, years later, it is the next generation that is left with the burden of the past and their country's tenuous future as a new wave of protest and political strife begins. Based on the harrowing experiences of Delijani, her family, and friends, Children of the Jacaranda Tree is a moving, timely drama about three generations of men and women moved by love, inspired by poetry, and motivated by dreams of justice and freedom. For fans of The Kite Runner and In the Shadow of the Banyan, it is a stunningly evocative look at the intimate side of revolution and a brilliant tribute to anyone who has answered the call of history.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.