- Table View
- List View
Children ask questions of an author who lost her vision at the age of twenty-six, including "How did you become blind?" "How can you read?" and "Was it hard to be a parent when you couldn't see your kids?"
Nine-year-old Leslie tells how her mom does everyday tasks while being blind, from keeping track of her daughter at nursery school to going to soccer games, to the movies, and canoeing.
This book explains the impact on the family of someone getting a successor dog guide, and also many of the tools that blind people use.
The second part of the author's autobiography, of which the first part, Taking Hold, was published in 1994. The author describes the difficulties and accomplishments she experiences as she adjusts to living independently after losing her sight.
A true story of the author's loss of vision as a young woman and of her adaptation to blindness.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.