- Table View
- List View
Advertising executive Marty English is on the fast track to success with his recent coup; landing a multi-million-dollar pharmaceutical account for a highly potent drug. Unbeknownst to his friends and coworkers, besides being a corporate star, Marty is also the estranged son of Chicago's most powerful Mafia Don. And when Marty's new deal starts unravelling from deadly complications involving the mob, the CIA, and a secret Swiss bank account containing millions, Marty becomes a marked man in a savage world he has struggled his whole life to avoid.
Featuring a brand-new introduction by the author, this New York Times bestseller presents an inside exposé of mob boss Sam Giancana--talented businessman, Las Vegas entrepreneur, ruthless killer, and outside player for the CIA's dirtiest deeds. Giancana clawed his way to the top of the Mafia hierarchy by starting as a hit man for Al Capone. He partied with major stars such as Frank Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe and did business with agents ranging from the CIA to the Vatican to the shah of Iran. When Joe Kennedy gave Giancana the chance to use mob muscle to get his son John elected, Giancana jumped at the task. But the Kennedy brothers double-crossed him, waging full-scale war on organized crime throughout the United States, and Giancana found himself going after the Kennedys. Undoubtedly, his story, written with suspense and truthful conviction, changed the course of American history. This shocking, inside-the-syndicate tell-all reveals Giancana's first-person testimony regarding his involvement in the deaths of Monroe and others, among other shocking secrets
This New York Times bestseller presents Sam Giancana-talented businessman, Las Vegas entrepreneur, ruthless killer, and outside player for the CIA's dirtiest deeds. Giancana clawed his way to the top of the Mafia hierarchy, partied with major stars such as Frank Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe, and did business with agents from the CIA to the Shah of Iran. When Joe Kennedy gave Giancana the chance to use mob muscle to get his son John elected, he jumped at it. But the Kennedy brothers double-crossed him, waging full-scale war on organized crime in the United States. His story changed the course of American history.
The true story of the vicious Chicago underworld from a New York Times bestselling author. With a contract out on his life, Nicholas "Nicky Breeze" Calabrese turned government witness and revealed the truth about the murders of a notorious Mob enforcer and his brother-culminating in a criminal case that would challenge the Mob from the street to the highest seats of power.
Some time in the early 1960s, during the golden age of organized crime in America--the era that would inspire The Godfather; Goodfellas, and even The Sopranos--federal investigators pulled every known piece of information on more than 800 Mafia members worldwide into a thick, phone-book-sized directory. From old-school gangsters like Lucky Luciano and Mickey Cohen to young turks like Paul Castellano and Vinny "The Chin" Gigante, the guide offered at-a-glance profiles of small-time thugs and major dons alike... and was allegedly the book Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy used to investigate the mob. Recently discovered, and published for the first time in this facsimile edition, Mafia is a treasure trove of info on the underworld in mid-century America--a revelatory artifact and an irresistible read.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.