- Table View
- List View
100 Cats Who Made a Difference If you don't believe that one cat has the power to alter civilization, then you've obviously never heard of Tibbles (p. 12), the cat who single-handedly wiped out an entire species. Or Ahmedabad (p. 61), a Siamese kitten who sparked riots throughout Pakistan. Or Snowball (p. 14), the cat who helped to convict dozens of murderers and criminals. Or Felix (p. 155), the first cat to explore outer space. These are just four of the 100 Cats Who Changed Civilization, and this book honors their extra-ordinary contributions to science, history, art, government, religion, and more. You'll meet a cat who filed a lawsuit (p. 66) and a cat who was slapped with a restraining order (p. 75). You'll meet cats who have inspired great works of literature (p. 90) and classical music (p. 102). You'll even meet a cat who telephoned the police to save the life of his owner (p. 162). These beautifully illustrated true stories are a tribute to the intelligence, bravery, and loving nature of cats all over the world.From the Hardcover edition.
100 Dogs Who Made a Difference If you don't believe that one dog has the power to alter civilization, then you've obviously never heard of Peritas (p. 166), the dog who saved Alexander the Great from being trampled by an elephant. Or Biche (p. 57), the Italian Greyhound who started a war between France and Russia. Or Urian (p. 74), the dog who bit Pope Clement VII and finalized England's break with the Catholic church. Or Peps and Fips (p. 96), the dogs who helped Richard Wagner compose his operas. These are just five of the 100 Dogs Who Changed Civilization, and this book honors their extraordinary contributions to science, history, art, government, religion, and more. You'll meet a dog who ran for president of France (p. 79) and a dog who saved a movie studio (p. 115). You'll meet dogs who have inspired great works of literature (p. 92) and who were awarded medals for their wartime service (p. 158). You'll even meet a dog who became a real-estate mogul (p. 141). These beautifully illustrated true stories are a tribute to the intelligence, bravery, and loving nature of dogs all over the world.From the Hardcover edition.
Journey to the final frontier of sci-fi zombie horror! Jim Pike was the world's biggest Star Trek fan--until two tours of duty in Afghanistan destroyed his faith in the human race. Now he sleepwalks through life as the assistant manager of a small hotel in downtown Houston. But when hundreds of Trekkies arrive in his lobby for a science-fiction convention, Jim finds himself surrounded by costumed Klingons, Vulcans, and Ferengi--plus a strange virus that transforms its carriers into savage, flesh-eating zombies! As bloody corpses stumble to life and the planet teeters on the brink of total apocalypse, Jim must deliver a ragtag crew of fanboys and fangirls to safety. Dressed in homemade uniforms and armed with prop phasers, their prime directive is to survive. But how long can they last in the ultimate no-win scenario?
Its a Terrible Day in the Neighborhood They told you the suburbs were a great place to live. They said nothing bad could ever happen here. But they were wrong. This collection of terrifying true stories exposes the dark side of life in the 'burbs--from corpses buried in backyards and ghosts lurking in fast food restaurants to UFOs, vanishing persons, bizarre apparitions, and worse. Consider: * The Soccer Mom's Secret. Meet Melinda Raisch of Columbus, Ohio. She's the wife of a dentist. A mother of three. A PTA member. And she has enough murderous secrets to fill a minivan. * Noise Pollution. More than 100 residents of Kokomo, Indiana, claim their small town is under attack by a low-pitched humming sound that erodes health and sanity. Too bad they're the only ones who can hear it. * Death Takes a Holiday inn. There's nothing more reassuring than a big chain hotel in a quaint small town--unless it's the Holiday Inn of Grand Island, New York, where you'll spend the night with the spirit of a mischievous little girl. So lock your doors, dim the lights, and prepare to stay up all night with this creepy collection of true tales. We promise you'll never look at white picket fences the same way again!
Wedding Dogs captures man's best friend at 75 weddings--dogs as the best man, maid of honor, ring bearer, or another member of the wedding party! Decked out in little doggy tuxedos or sporting a wreath of roses around their necks, these pooches share in the wedding couple's big day. Each photograph is accompanied by a brief essay telling the dog's (and the couple's) story. A perfect wedding, bridal shower, or groom's gift, Wedding Dogs shares the joy of the moment when dogs join in the celebration of their owners' most special day.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.