- Table View
- List View
With this exhilarating novel from the author the San Francisco Chronicle calls "daring" and "splendid," Sarah Smith cuts to the heart of one of literature's most fascinating and enduring mysteries: the enigma of Sir William Shakespeare. Meet Joe Roper, a thoroughly modern graduate student who has landed the job of a lifetime working in the famed Kellogg Collection of Elizabethan texts and curiosities. He's been passionate about Shakespeare since reading a duct-taped paperback copy of Macbeth as a kid. But if all the world's a stage, Joe's working-class roots do little to prepare him for his role in the academic arena. Enter Posy Gould, stage right. A glamorous rising star at Harvard, she insists that a letter Joe's found, signed by one W. Shakespeare of Stratford, is a career-making discovery for them both -- particularly because the letter suggests that the plays were not written from Shakespeare's quill. What follows is a literary adventure story that places Joe and Posy in a world where the London Eye looks out over Shakespeare's city, Hollywood producers rub elbows with the Queen's court, and an unsolved mystery spans across five centuries and two continents. A first-rate thriller from one of the masters of the genre, Chasing Shakespeares is also an enduring tale about love, art, and poetic justice.
Book 3 in The Vanished Child trilogy. Excellent historical mystery set in Flander, France, pre-WW1.
This mystery occurs in Paris 1910 during the historic flood. The mystery includes art history and forgeries, and a blind woman pianist trying to become professional. Lush writing.
Law Walker knew Katie Mullens before she was crazy. Before her mother died. Law knows Katie's crazy now, but she's always been talented. And she keeps filling sketch pads even though her drawings have gone a little crazy as well--dark, bloody. What Law doesn't know is that these drawings are real. Or were real. Katie draws what she sees--and Katie sees dead people. People who have died--recently, and not so recently--in accidents, from suicide, even a boy who was trapped in a house that burned down more than 100 years ago. And it's this boy who makes Law want to get to know Katie all over again. So what if his dad doesn't want him dating a white girl? So what if people think Katie is dangerous? The ghost boy is hiding a secret that Law needs to know--and it's much bigger, much more shocking than anyone ever expected.
Book 1 of The Vanished Child trilogy. Historical psychological mystery, a real "thinker." Includes a blind character. Following books "The Knowledge of Water" and "A Citizen of the Country" are already on Bookshare.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.